In our continuing efforts to discern who God is calling us to be today and into the future, Lehigh Presbytery has held a series of “engagements” during presbytery meetings. These are meant to help us listen to how God is at work in the world and how we, as individuals and as churches, might cooperate.
At the February 2013 meeting, the participants discussed three questions:
1. What is one thing that you boast about your congregation?
2. Where is one place you have seen God in your congregation’s life and ministry in the past month?
3. What is one challenge that your congregation is facing?
Click here to review the responses: Life together 2 23 2013
At the April 2013 meeting, the participants broke up into groups to discuss 5 topics facing the churches today.
1.Resources and Stewardship: may include leadership and members, finances, building
2. Outreach and Evangelism: may include welcoming and hospitality, reaching new members
3. Mission: may include what you are doing, what you could be doing, what you could be doing with others
4. Changing Church in a Changing World: may include how the church is changing in ministry and worship, how local, broader, theological, denominational context is changing
5. Membership: may include volunteers, issues of aging, youth
Click here to review the responses: Life Together – 4 23 2013.
At the June 2013 meeting, the participants discussed three questions:
1. What is a church?
2. What does a church do?
3. Is it possible for a church to no longer be a church? If so, explain.
Click here to review the responses: Life Together – 6 25 2013
The worship service at the June meeting was held in the outdoor chapel at the camp. Commissioners participated in an exercise, “What is the Church?” by writing brief definitions on hand-shaped cutouts.
To read the responses click here: The Church Is – 6 25 2013